He may not have a major Democratic challenger, but first-term Manchester Mayor Jay Ruais isn’t taking any chances. On Tuesday, he announced his 2025 campaign has already raised $400,000, with more than $350,000 cash on hand.

“I am humbled by the continued outpouring of support we have received since launching our reelection campaign,” Ruais said in a statement. “We have always campaigned like we are 10 points behind, and will take nothing for granted as we ask the people of Manchester to place their trust in me to lead our beloved city for another two years.”

Ruais, 39, has made public safety and addressing homelessness his top priorities during his first term, taking the lead on the push to get the state legislature to reform the state’s bail laws. When Gov. Kelly Ayotte signed the new law last week, Ruais was on hand at the state house.

“It’s a great day for Manchester, a great day for the state, and a bad day for criminals,” Ruais told NHJournal after the signing.

In his budget address for 2026, Ruais announced a $437 million spending plan that is two percent under the tax cap while increasing school spending — though not as much as the school district wanted.

“As a city, we must live within our means. We must also continue to supply critical city services. We can accomplish both of these directives because they are not mutually exclusive.”

When he announced his intention to seek a second term, Ruais’ campaign released a poll showing the Republican mayor with 51 percent approval, while just 14 percent disapprove. That may explain why no major Democratic challenger has yet emerged.

“If they don’t have a candidate by January, they aren’t serious,” Republican Alderman Joe Kelly Levasseur said of Manchester Democrats. “Everything is going in the right direction for Jay. They’re not organized, or they’re just afraid to lose.”

Ruais is facing a challenge, however. Republican Ward 6 Alderman Crissy Kantor has announced she’s running against Ruais.

Ruais’ success has some Republicans talking about a possible run for the open seat in the 1st Congressional District when U.S. Rep. Chris Pappas announces his 2026 U.S. Senate bid. But a source close to Ruais told NHJournal on background it’s not in the cards.

“He’s not running for federal office. He’s got overwhelming support in Manchester, as demonstrated by his massive fundraising haul. People are happy with the city’s direction, and he’s in a very strong position to earn a second term.”

And Ruais’ message to Manchester is that he’s focused on his job as mayor.

“While we have made progress on the critical issues facing Manchester like affordable housing, homelessness, public safety and protecting the tax cap, we know there is more work to be done to keep Manchester moving forward.”